Friday, January 14, 2005

A soothing, yet sad, yet coincidental summary...

This is just so odd...
I have to talk about my lunch hour because it relates to the no-good evening from last night.
I stopped by the store to get a card (I actually found a "sorry for the loss of your cat" condolence card...how cool is that??) and some flowers for my poor neighbor lady - and I drove home on my lunch hour to put them in a vase and leave everything on her doorstep.
I had the flowers all ready, and I was writing in the card - when I heard my landlord's truck pull up. I knew that he was going to stop by to check on our heating unit, I was just surprised that he came at the exact hour that I was there. I look out the door and notice THE MISSING DOG in the back of his truck! I run out the door shouting "You found him!" and begin to scratch the dog on the head and tell him that he's naughty...and my landlord tells me that he just wandered back home last night. Right about the time that I realize that the dog is ALONE in the back of the truck - and the other dog (they are always together) is not there...my landlord tells me that the reason he was so upset last night is because they had to put the other dog to sleep on Tuesday..and they're still having a hard time with that - and then one goes missing and they just lost their heads. The other dog was old (although you'd never know it, he had so much energy) and I guess developed some breathing problems and they had to make that horrible decision to put him down.
So anyway, he goes "you come home for lunch? Isn't that kind of far?" and I proceeded to explain to him what happened with the neighbor lady and the cat - and I pointed to her house, since I didn't know her name. He goes "oh, the preacher??" and I said "huh?" and he tells me preacher lady's name and all of a sudden a big lightbulb goes off in my head. I KNEW she looked familiar yesterday, but I thought it was just because we're neighbors. Turns out, she was the associate pastor at a church where I used to babysit in the nursery. It was about 12-13 years ago, so I'm sure she has no idea who I am...and now I know why she looked vaguely familiar. SO WEIRD
So I got good news with the dog being found...
bad news with the other dog being put to sleep...
and weird news, that I actually KNEW the neighbor lady from yesterday without even realizing it...

dang, talk about an emotional rollercoaster...

No comments: