Friday, January 13, 2006

All better now...

Okay, so I've been better for a while - but I've been BUSY dealing with year end and year beginning stuff at work.

Good news is that Hubster and I booked a trip to Washington DC for May!!!
We've always talked about going, and especially before we have kids...and so we're actually going to do it. Hubster's never been East of Colorado - so he's THRILLED...and I haven't been there since I was about 8 or 9 - and I LOVED IT...we're just going to have so much fun.

Hubster is a huge history buff, and former political-science major - the boy watches History channel incessently and it drives me insane. So he's really excited to go on tours through the white house and the capitol building...he got online last night and wrote to our local congressman to get tickets to some of the "special" tours. He was so into it that I practically had to lean over and wipe the drool off our desk...

I'm not especially into politics - in fact, hubster and I have pretty different opinions about most things political...but I still love DC - and he'll be in history heaven. He has a tendency to give me long history lessons complete with background information when he's excited about a topic - so I told him that he has to promise not to be offended if I casually slip on some headphones while he's talking...hahaha
I think that's the only way I'm going to be able to stay sane on this trip. Headphones...

Headphones and booze...ha!

Our 4th anniversary is coming up on the 26th - and I CAN'T BELIEVE it's been 4 years! so weird...
I went to a baby shower last night and got a million questions of "when are you having kids?" and "what are you waiting for?" and "you've been married 4 whole years and no kids yet??? Better get crackin!"

which is when I buried all those people in my backyard....

KIDDING!

I understand the question - I do....but I am AMAZED at how many people ask over and over and over and over and over again...and it seems like the longer I'm married WITHOUT kids - the more the question gets asked. After a while, it's just downright annoying...
and I get tired of saying "oh, I don't know...we will eventually"
or "soon enough...soon enough"
I'm not even going to GO THERE about family members asking those same questions - but on a consistent and persistent basis. Big....sigh....

There was one lady though who has a son (who I went to school with and never liked, because he was a punk little pompous brat) who married a friend of mine...and apparantly they have decided not to have kids and focus on their career and become body builders. Which is fine - more power to them...too many people these days are having kids that they don't REALLY want them...so if a couple decides that they don't want kids - then GOOD FOR THEM.
But this woman is SO BITTER about the fact that she's not going to be a grandma...my gosh - she was walking up to every woman at this shower and saying "well, how many grandchildren do YOU have now?" and then someone else "I don't have ANY grandchildren...you're lucky to even have ONE"
She even walked up to me and elbowed me in the side and goes "how many grandchildren have you given YOUR parents?" and I looked at her and said "none" and she goes "oh, are you one of THOSE who's decided not to have kids?" and I said "no, we just haven't decided not to have kids YET"
and she goes "well at least you'll have some eventually - MY son and his wife are too into themselves...they don't even care that I'm not going to be a grandma"
Which is when I hit her over the head with my wine glass and buried HER in the backyard...

kidding!

She started bitching about how her son and daughter-in-law called her once from the penthouse at the Bellagio in Vegas and she was so upset that they just took off spontaneously and didn't even tell her they were going...and my gosh, why would they spend that kind of money on a penthouse for 2 people?
and my mom piped in and goes "well, they don't have kids - so they can afford to do whatever they want with their money! Good for them!"

HAHAHAHA - I was laughing...go mom....

Gimme a break lady...get over it. She was driving everybody nuts...people were trying hard to just smile and be nice...but you could tell that most people were rolling their eyes and gritting their teeth behind her...

I've heard that this year is going to be a baby boom - which makes sense considering I know so many people that are going to be screaming in a hospital room sometime this year. Every month through September, I know someone having a kid...some months, I know TWO people having kids...
I read it has something to do with the war, and the disasters...etc, etc...hospitals are going to be busy!

That's allllot of baby showers...and allllloooooot of "when are you having a baby?" questions...

My backyard isn't that big...so I guess I'll have to pray for patience...and resist the urge to tell them that I'm barren and run off sobbing....

hehehehe - talk about a good way to avoid THAT question....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My bro & his wife are having their 1st baby this February (going to the shower next weekend in Medford/Jacksonville) -- they have been married for 10 years. You would not believe the questions they have been getting for the last 9 years! I have no idea why people are so obsessed with other people's reproduction. P.S. Glad you are back!!

Anonymous said...

Trust me the questions don't stop....even after you have the kids you get the other questions, are you going to have another one? Well considering this one is 2 months old I am not sure, or how long are you going to wait until you have another one? Not sure maybe when I take a test and go oh s***. And then after having 3 wonderdul kids people still ask you so are you going to have more. ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION. UMMMMMM HELL NO. :) So good for you not having any right away. You and Hubster were able to have fun and live a little and take trips before you decided to have little monsters. ROCK ON :)