Monday, April 28, 2008

So much to say...

Has it really been almost 2 weeks since my critter entered this world? It's hard to remember my life without him at this point. I spend so much of my day just staring into his big eyes and chatting him up about all the things we'll do when he's bigger, and how I can't actually believe he's my kid - but then I look at his eyes and he LOOKS like my kid, so it's this whole wierd circle of surrealness (is that even a word? hmm).

Hubs and I decided to had a "date night" yesterday, since today is his first day back at work. We left our critter with Nana and Pop, and went to the new Chili's for dinner, and then to the movies to see Baby's Mama. It was nice to get away by ourselves after such a blurry couple of weeks...and while we missed our little guy - we are both firm believers that time alone together is really important. The best gift we can give our child, is two parents who love each other and have a good stable marriage. Thank goodness we have such a great support system so we can get away and know our kid is in good hands!

And for the record, I know it's only been a few hours, but I MISS HUBS. There's something so great about having your hubby home with you so you can tag team each other with baby duties.

I need to figure out how to become independently wealthy, so we can both quit our jobs and hang out with each other every day. I am a BLESSED woman because throughout this entire 2 weeks...even with little amounts of sleep and moderate amounts of frustration when we don't know what's wrong with our critter - we never got annoyed with each other. I think we both have a renewed sense of appreciation for our mellow and easy going personalities. That seems to have translated to our kid as well because he's pretty easy going too :)

We had our first pediatrician appointment last Thursday - and we walked out of there feeling like we somehow actually know what we're doing. The doc gave us mad props for having him back at his birth weight in 9 days...and said he's a good, strong, healthy boy. We asked him a ton of questions about feeding, since that's our biggest challenge these days - and of course tapped his brain about the whole SIDS thing, since its' really got us both freaked out and we could easily spend all night long staring at our kid breathing. We bought one of those angelcare monitor things and put it under his cradle mattress, so that's given us some peice of mind. The only problem is - when I'm rolling out of bed at 3am all bleary eyed...I sometimes grab the kid and forget to turn the monitor off, so once it detects no movement for 15 seconds it goes BEEP-BEEP-BEEP!! and poor hubs has to roll over and turn it off. This whole sleeping schedule has been interesting. It's both "not that bad" and yet "sucks" all at the same time. I couldn't even begin to try and figure out how much sleep I'm actually getting, since every time he squeaks or grunts...I'm awake and peering over the side of his cradle to make sure he's okay. Please someone tell me I won't do this some point I will be able to sleep without one eye and one ear open RIGHT? ha!

Okay - time for more squishy baby pictures:

DUDE, ya think he inherited our CHEEKS??? I think he's storing M&M's in those things...

This one's for you Alison :)

I realize that after posting these pics, none of you are going to believe my whole no sleep rant...since he's SNOOZING in almost every picture. Isn't he so kissable though?


*aron* said...

soooooooo cute!!! so happy you are enjoying being a mommy!!

t said...

I was just emailing Aron saying "there's nothing on the blog and i have no updates" and there you are! So happy for you guys...and your lil man is so cute!

Jeannett Gibson said...

I love the one of him in the collared shirt...he looks like a little MAN! Love it! Have fun, enjoy it and believe it or not, but I actually wake up MISSING Henry because he finally sleeps through the night! He slept until 8:30 a.m. on Saturday...and I must have paced the hallway and listened in at his door a million times wishing he was awake so we could play!

Kelly said...

Yeah for an update and pictures! I seriously want to reach through the screen and squeeze his cute chubby cheeks! Seriously cute! I love how alert he is with those big eyes. You guys are in baby heaven over there.

Yes, at some point you will be able to actually sleep and only wake when he is really fussing and needs you. It took me about three weeks to realize that she would be fine if I closed my eyes. It will get better.

I'm so glad things are going well! Thanks for taking time to post for all of us blog stalkers.

April said...

Yeah for pictures and an update!!! You WILL sleep again! The really sad thing is when you start getting like five hours in a row you will swear that you could survive the rest of your life on just five hours...then when your kid is actually old enough to sleep through the night and you have been getting good sleep for some time he will start teething or have some other such issue and after ONE sleepless night you will wonder how in the heck you used to function like you are now. It's all relative :-) Love the pictures...keep them coming!!!

Joanna said...

It DOES get better. Since I'm a little OCD, I wouldn't trust my sight, I'd actually put my hand on Paige's chest and check for breathing. It got so bad, that I limited myself to 'feeling for breath' 2 times per hour.
After about I month of this, I realized that it was OK to let her sleep.
Good for you and hubs going out, that's SO SO SO important. When J and I go a long time between dates, and then actually hang out together it's like a little reminder "hey, I kinda like you".
I LOVE the photos!

Alison said...

I love the "spread eagle" arms he's got while sporting his ice cream bib.

Show's he knows exactly what an ice cream coma should look like.

Good job AJ!